Tuesday 8 June 2010

Wisdom literature it ain't -The Shack

One of my favourite pictures presented in the Bible is the vision of Isaiah in Isaiah chapter 6, he sees the majesty of God, the hem of the Lord's garment filling the temple. The Holy Angels cover their faces and cry, holy, holy holy is the LORD God Almighty. Scripture quite often presents us a view of God that is like that transcendent and majestic, and so holy that even sinless beings cannot look Him in the face. Isaiah himself is reduced to nothing as he sees his own sinfulness in light of God's majestic holiness.

I reluctantly bowed to pressure recently and decided to read the Shack, what a waste of paper I knew it was bad, people I trust have reviewed it and pointed out its faults but I was shocked just how bad it was. I knew about its presentation of the trinity as a trio of human beings but the picture of God the father as someone who makes rude comments about the state of the main characters underwear was more than I could bare. I made it to p.65 and will not be going any further with it. The author seems to be unaware of the greatness of God. He is seeking to answer questions of theodicy but his understanding of God is immanent but not transcendent. At one point the author equates God to the Great Spirit of Native American paganism seeing them as the same. The author through the central character criticises both the Bible and the Church but saves his biggest attack for the God who is declared to be Holy. Elouisa might have much in commn with William P Young's view of God but it is miles away from the God revealed in Scripture. When Job had questions for God his mouth was stopped when He saw God for Himself, Job said I have heard of you with my ears but now I see you face to face and I repent in dust and ashes. Job's questions disappeared in the presence of God. Young's God is not majestic and is not holy and has nothing to do with the God of the Bible.

Shalom
Stephen

No comments: