Tuesday 29 June 2010

The Billion Dollar Man

Last week I heard that Michael Jackson has earned a billion dollars in the year since his death, whilst this is more money than I'll ever earn it will do him no good as he can't spend a penny of it. Even if he was still in the land of the living it would not fill the longing of his heart. I don't no much about Michael Jackson, I know that he was very talented, very famous and for most of his life very rich. I also know that he was not a happy chap, he was searching for something to fill the void in his life. All his fame and money  never seemed to satisfy the longing within his heart for joy and purpose. This is not just true of Michael Jackson it seems many of the rich and famous live their lives in such a way that the myth that money, fame and success bring happiness is clearly seen for what it is a big fat lie. Yet this pursuit still continues even though it is a chasing after the wind, meaningless, meaningless, everything is meaningless said the preacher, everything that is under the sun. We can only find joy, lasting joy in the God who fills the emptiness within the human soul. As the preacher also said, you have set eternity in our hearts. Augustine summed this up on the very first page of his confessions, 'you have made us for yourself and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in you.

May you know this satisfaction, this joy unspeakable and filled with glory
Stephen<><

2 comments:

Gaetano Marino said...

I found your site by accident, and enjoyed it much. I read only the whole first page of entries, and I am not a Calvinist. I believe in Jesus Christ, and want to thank you for posting your blog.
You should know that by doing so, you have done a good work for the Lord. Many refute the gospel without knowing it. There is a lot of bitterness in the world these days.
I am often feeling so myself, but it is true that prayer is a real help. My soul was caught in a snare a while back, and have since been in a terrible struggle with the evil one. Yet, I just know that before this is over, God will deliver me. Witchcraft and voodoo are terrible things, yet this generation is full of cruel practitioners. The Lord be praised!
The last sixteen years of my life have been a trial of faith. Hearing voices, betrayel, nightmares, yet Christ never, ever, abandoned me. I know he never will.
Keep writing your encouragement. Thank you.

Stephen said...

Hi Gaetano,

Thanks for your encouragment, as you can see I too believe in Jesus Christ so we are brothers and will one day meet.
I am glad you are confident that Christ will never abandon you, Paul said so in Romans 8, no-one can seperate us from the love of God and that is an awesome thing!
God Bless, Stephen <><