Monday 12 May 2008

Whatever Happened to Heaven and Hell?

The David Crowder band have a line in one of their songs, " Everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Is that true? Certainly the last part is, but I don't believe Christians think about heaven all that often.
I was asked recently when the last time I heard a sermon on heaven, I can't actually recall hearing one. Although I have read several Puritan sermons on Heaven, including an excellent one by Edward Griffin (see here). The last time I heard a sermon on hell was in the mid 90's, neither heaven or hell seem to get much of a mention in sermons these days.
I realise we should be like Robert Murry M'Cheyne and only preach hell with tears in our eyes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't preach it. Jonathan Edwards preached on hell several times, including his most famous sermon 'Sinners in the hands of an angry God.' He always preached on hell as an evangelist, he did the same when he preached or wrote on heaven. Heaven is where God is and so it is the most wonderful place to be, we should speak more about it, and contemplate it also.

May God Bless you!
Stephen

No comments: