Monday 26 May 2008

John Thornton, the forgotten evangelical

I have just finishing reading Jonathan Aiken's biography on John Newton 'From Disgrace to Amazing Grace.' This is the 3rd Newton biography I have read and my favourite so far. I like John Newton, although he was described as a moderate Calvinist he saw himself as more of a Calvinist than anyone else. He didn't push it but it affected everything he preached. Although an Anglican he could be found with the Independents, and Baptists because he realised that God was at work amongst them.



I have also read several books over the years on the Clapham Sect, esp William Wilberforce. Between you and me I think I enjoy this period of history even more than I do the Puritans. One name that crops up often in these works is John Thornton, a wealthy man who used his resources for the glory of God. Aiken says that he would purchase church vacancies and fill them with evangelical clergymen, some of these churches are still conservative evangelical to this day. Although he was an Anglican he also funded an Independent Bible College. He funded mission work in India, and New South Wales (this is where the Jensen brothers minister and serve Christ, defending the authority of the word of God). Thornton also funded colleges and schools in the States. Thornton was related to William Wilberforce and a friend of John Newton and because of this he was one of the instruments God used to end slavery. Although he may be somewhat forgotten in contemporary Britain the effects of his giving  are still  felt and he is not forgotten in heaven. His earthly resources he used for the glory of God  and now he is enjoying his heavenly treasure.


God Bless


Stephen <><

No comments: