Tuesday 20 January 2009

a secret gospel

Inverness probably has the most evangelical churches in the UK, there seems to me to be more respect for Christianity here than elsewhere. Yet I got a real shock today, I was reading Mark Driscoll's book 'Death by Love' whilst enjoying a cup of tea, a lady walked by and asked how love could be demonstrated through death. So I explained the book was talking about Jesus' death for us, the gospel, a fantastic opportunity. When I said that God loved us and sent His Son to die for us the guy on the next table asked. "Is that some hidden secret Gospel." I explained that to the contrary it is the gospel! I thought it was ironic that I was reading a book by the pastor of Mars Hill church and the reaction I got was like the men of Athens, what strange teaching is this.
The more I think about it, this guy's ignorance isn't his fault, this is a day of good news and we are obviously keeping it to ourselves, who else is to blame for this guy never hearing the gospel in his 40 plus years? Granted he might have heard it before but never taken any notice but I am for one am going to ensure that his response prompts me to be more effective in presenting the gospel to lost and broken people in need of good news.
God Bless
Stephen <><

2 comments:

andrea said...

with you on that bruv!
God Bless
Andrea

Steve said...

Funny how the gospel hits people's ears differently.

That is why we preach it in and out of season.

Right now it may be out of season...but there are always a few ears to hear it.

Keep up the good work!