Saturday 24 January 2009

Christian Hedonism in the 4th Century

I came across this prayer of Augustine from his confessions:-

Hear my prayer for pardon, Lord, lest my soul faint under your discipline, and do not let me fail in acknowledging before you your mercies, by which you have snatched me from all my most evil paths, that you might grow sweet to me beyond all the allurements I followed, that I might most powerfully love you and hold fast your hand with all my being, and to the very end you might tear me from temptation.
For, look, Lord, my king and my God, let whatever that is useful which I learned as a child serve you. When I was learning trifles you disciplined me, and forgave me the sin of the delight I took in what those trifles held. In them I learned many useful words, but such words can be learned in serious contexts, and that is the safe path in which children should walk.' (Translated by E.M Blaiklock)
Notice Augustine laments his wasted youth on fleeting pleasures, even when those pleasures were intellectual pursuits. His desire is know his God more so that God might grow more sweet to him. He realises that the more he knows God, the greater will be his awe and his desire for God will grow stronger and the fleeting treasures of this world will pale as a result. I think Augustine was a Christian Hedonist!
Shalom <><
Stephen

No comments: