Tuesday 30 December 2008

A New Testament for the High School Musical generation

The Word of Promise Next Generation

When I first started listening to this I found it very annoying, but then I realised that it was actually in step with the historical bible translations of the reformation. I haven’t heard of any of the stars but if I was 12 or 13 I am sure my big heroes would be on this CD. The translation used by The Word of Promise is the International Children’s Bible. I have given these away before and will probably do so again in the future. However because of the audio dramatic style of the presentation I believe that the makers could have used a more accurate translation and not lost their audience. That said for the most part the translation is accurate and in some places the different wording was actually helpful. For example in Revelation 12: 4 most translations say that the Dragon was ready to devour the male child. The ICB translates this as eat, and I know that devour means eat but it was more effective in bringing that across.

The sound effects
The sound effects were on the whole good, although I couldn’t understand why after the gospels, when Jesus or an Old Testament prophet were quoted we had to hear two voices. This was especially weird when Paul was recounting the story of his Damascus road conversion throughout Acts. Also the post resurrected Jesus and Angels/demons sounded like the Daleks with an eerie echo, but how do you convey the voice of the risen Jesus when the actor is either a teen or barely out of his teens. However the general sounds of the market place, the crowds and especially the whipping of Jesus bought out the text in a good way especially as I was listening to it on my mp3 player. The dramatic effect of revelation with the sounds of thunder, trumpets and horses helped me feel horror, terror, and awe.
Narration
The narrator Sean Astin did a fantastic job, I preferred the letters where it was just Astin, but this probably reflects my age bracket because he is the same age as me.
Introductions
Max Lucado and his daughter Jenna did the introductions, these were probably written by Lucado, they were short but set each book in its historical context. They were both excited about the text and hopefully their enthusiasm will effect the target audience. These introductions presumed a conservative evangelical position (which is a good thing) and didn't fall into the trap of arguing over authorship (also a good thing).

Would I buy this?
Would I buy this, not for me, but I love reading and so I have little use for an audio bible. Especially one aimed at pre-teens, or teens. Yet I think it is probably the perfect gift for someone that age, who loves, High School Musical, Hannah Montana and is not a reader. The team behind this CD have done a great job in communicating the Bible in the language of their target audience.









1 comment:

andrea said...

Hi Stephen,it 01;49 so perhaps you are all up for the middle of the night baby feed! Anyway where did you get this cd it sounds good.
Guess who got the internet back??