Friday 20 June 2008

Got the t'shirt, now I've read the book

I recently noticed through a Christianity Today article that Collin Hansen has extended his article Young, Restless and Reformed into a book. The book isn't going to change any ones opinion about the growth of Calvinism amongst young American Christians it does make interesting reading. Its interesting that this is happening on both sides of the Atlantic. Driscoll describes the New Calvinists as different to the old ones in that we like people. Hansen talks to all the big players such as John Piper, Mark Driscoll, Tim Keller, C. J Mahaney but Hansen also talks to people who sit under their ministries. This book is well written and was a joy to read. I hope someone writes something similar on the growth of Calvinism in Britain.

Shalom
Stephen

2 comments:

Steve said...

I hope the Calvinists in Britian are not such law bangers as the U.S. Calvinista are.

Over here, these guys just can't seem to leave well enough alone. There is always something else for you to do...another book to read, another seminar to attend, another level of "spirituality" to ascend to.
You just never seem to "arrive" with this crop of 'how to' Christians.

It's a shame. I hope you Brits aren't burdened with all of that.

Take care, and God bless.

Nice blog, by the way. I'll come back and do a bit more perusing.

Thanks!

- Steve Martin San Clemente, CA

Reformed Renegade said...

I think I disagree with Steve Martin (Hi, Steve) here. I'm not sure what a "law banger" is. I'm also not sure who these Calvinists are that have "another book to read, another seminar to attend, another level of "spirituality" to ascend to." Yes, there is always another book to read but that is always in our striving to understand and serve our Sovereign God better. There certainly is not another level level of spirituality. I'd like to know the basis of that statement.
Steve's statment here I think misrepresents Calvinists in the U.S.