Tuesday 1 January 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I don't normally make New Year's resolutions but I have a couple of things I'd like to do this year so the New Year is as good a place to begin. Last year I set myself the task of reading John Owen for 20 minutes a day, I did pretty well, I read two books but then got busy with college so I stopped. I am ashamed to say that I have never read John Calvin's Institutes. Like Jonathan Edwards I would describe myself doctrinally as a Calvinist but the name is convenient and I am not dependent upon him for them, but upon Scripture. Nonetheless I think reading Calvin will be a fruitful exercise, again I need to take my cue from Edwards and read with a pen in my hand, and my laptop open, ready to mark, highlight and write down anything truly significant. The other thing I'd like to is read Wesley's and Edwards resolutions. One thing I don't have on my list is to blog as often as Dr Mike Bird, there are not enough hours in the day!

May God Bless you
Stephen

No comments: