Thursday 15 November 2007

Radical Refomission on Ecclesiastes


I'm taking a short break from editing my essay on Proverbs and found a neat quote from Mark Driscoll in Radical Reformission on how to veiw transitions in culture and how to understand Ecclesiastes.


'Even a Cursory reading of Ecclesiastes shows that culture is a stationary bike that each generation climbs on in hopes of getting somewhere only to die and fall off so that the new young stud can take his turn peddling and, like a fool, make pronouncements about his progress.' P.161


I shall be at Menmakers in Edinburgh this weekend and Mark Driscoll is the main speaker.

Shalom

Stephen

5 comments:

Reformed Renegade said...

So far I'm not impressed by Driscoll from what I've heard or read of him. I need to check him out further. Let me know what you think. I do appreciate his zeal to reach the lost (that group of society other would not go after).
I have a sermon of his on my Ipod that I need to listen to and get a better idea.

Stephen said...

Hi Russ,

I've got my father-in-law reading Driscoll, he is an old school pastor. He said that Driscoll is a little rough around the edges but what Driscoll is talking about resonants with him.I am glad you are going to investigate further.I heard lots of bad things about Piper so much that I rebelled and read him and I am glad I did.
Shalom bro
Stephen

Reformed Renegade said...

I listened to the sermon I had which was not recommended. However, I liked it. Others would say he was (is) crude, graphic and vulgar and that's possibly true. But he was extremely honest and frank and definetly not boring and that's what is needed to reaching the lost, heavlily tatooed, flirting with drugs and sexual pleasure crowd. I give it a A+.

David R Kirk said...

Let me see...don't think Driscoll is Kuyperian! It's easy to take a quote out of context, but if this represents his view of culture, then he's not really affirming God's mandates of Genesis and the reality of common grace. He might be advocating the kind of Christian reductionism that is not really compatible with what excites me about Reformed theology.

Stephen said...

Driscoll does view culture in a Kuper type fashion, there is nothing in creation that Christ doesn't say mine. In context the comment is really affirming that there is nothing new under the sun.
Shalom
Stephen