Monday 19 November 2007

Mark Driscoll and Reformed Baptists

I had the pleasure of speaking to Mark after he spoke on Saturday. We spoke about being reformed and baptist, yesterday Mark was speaking at Destiny Church, Edinburgh and told how his church had grown over 800 people in one month and is now meeting on 6 different campuses. He told us stories of people who had come to faith through the church that were absolutely astounding. Again it made me think of Stott's Contemporary Christian where Stott identified two major concerns, churches that open their bibles and pretend to be faithful but are not relevant. Secondly, churches that are trying to be relevant but do not open their bible and so are not faithful or relevant. I have spoken in a few reformed baptist churches in the UK to groups as small as a dozen, these churches are not reaching the culture and we need to. I don't agree with all of Mark's methods but he is seeking to be faithful and relevant and he is seeing thousands come to Christ in the most unchurched city in the States. Stott says the notion that the church is not growing in the west, therefore we should not expect church growth is 'fiddlesticks.' Lets seek to be relevant and faithful witnesses to Christ, lets be friends of the tax collectors and sinners, lets be like Jesus.
God Bless
Stephen

3 comments:

Adrian Warnock said...

Hey sorry I missed meeting you at the confernece. My own reflections are here

Stephen said...

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for stopping by, I enjoy your blog. It and David Kirks blog inspired me to start my own.
God Bless
Stephen

David R Kirk said...

Hey ReformedChristian, thanks for the shout! If you are saying my blog is inspired, we can argue about that! But....I don't think you are...!