Thursday 11 October 2007

John Newton's epitaph


Yesterday a couple of us were discussing in the common room about how we in the church elevate offices and office bearers. We find this attitude when people in the congregation elevate either the minister, elders or deacons, this is one thing, it is even worse when they do it themselves. Contrast this with John Newton a man used of God in revival, and a big influence within the movement to end the slave trade. Yet Newton was always aware of what he was, a great sinner that God had saved by grace. His Epitaph states: "John Newton, Clerk, once an infidel and libertine, a servant of slaves in Africa, was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, preserved, restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach the faith he had long labored to destroy." It is important to me to always remember that although I enjoy the privilege of studying God's word here in HTC that I am a sinner saved by grace. As I wasn't brought up in a Christian home I can see the difference that grace is working within that I was a wretch and that it is only God's grace that will lead me home.


May God Bless You

7 comments:

Stephen said...

Hi Stephen. I was directed to you by Mr Reformed Renegade (strange name, if you ask me).

I have often thought that a church that exalts office-bearers has something wrong with it. Obvious, but it may be that it is a sign that the church members have forgotten that they too are sinners before Christ.

Blessings!

Stephen said...

Amen Stephen, (Which is a great name, if you ask me). I know when I was a teenager I measured people by looks now I am older I sometimes measure people by intellect. Of course we have nothing to boast about before God its just pride at work. I always find whenever I have dealt with pride oneway it rears its ugly head another way. It is only realising we are sinners before Christ as you rightly say that we can see ourselves correctly.

Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...

Its kind of sad when people venerate the Pastor, its easy to see how the R.C came to venerate the saints we do it all the time. Iain Murray's comments and the end of his 2nd volume on MLJ says with astonishment, 'do you know what his last words were to me? "just remember that I am sinner saved by grace."' I recall reading that and getting the impression that Murray had missed the point that MLJ was trying to make.

David R Kirk said...

On the other hand, the Apostle Paul can urge (often) all to be imitators of him as an example. He can also urge Christians to give respect to those who serve them by ruling in the church. There is the danger (especially in evangelicalism) that elders and deacons are not given the honour and respect that they ought to be accorded as under-shepherds and servants of the needy.

Stephen said...

David as always you offer an important corrective.You have bought balance to the force! I agree there is real honour that should be given to elders, deacons and pastors.

Reformed Renegade said...

Where did the "Mr." come from? Actually, Mr. Reformed Renegade sounds rather haughty, don't you think? Mr. Renegade will suffice.
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek.)