Saturday 25 December 2010

Jesus- meek and lowly our saviour holy!

I have heard many sermons over the years on the passage there was no room for them in the inn Luke chapter 2 none of them better than C H Spurgeon's: 

The invitation
Even as an infant, by being laid in a manger, he was being set forth as the sinners friend. Come to him, yea that are weary and heavy-laden! Come to him ye that are broken in spirit, ye who are bowed down in soul! Come to him, ye that despise yourself and are despised by others! come to him publican and harlot! Come to him thief and drunkard! In the manger there he lies, ungaurded from your touch and unsheilded from your gaze. Bow the knee and kiss the Son of God: accept him as your saviour, for he puts himself in that manger that you may approach him. The throne of Solomon might awe you but the manger of Christ invites you. 

Demands a response

As the palace, and the forum, and the inn, have no room for Christ and as the places of public resort have none, have you room for Christ? "Well" says one,"I have room for Him, but I am not worthy that he should come to me" Ah! I did not ask about your worthiness; have you room for Him? "Oh" says one "I have an empty void the world can never fill". Ah! I see you have room for Him. "Oh! but the room that I have is so base!" So was the manger. "But it is so despicable!" so was the manger a thing to be despised.
C. H Spurgeon
Your sin is no excuse to keep you from coming to Him who came into the world to save sinners. He left the comfort of heaven for a lowly manger and later a cruel and shameful cross because He came to seek those who are lost. If you are lost this Christmas call out to Him and He will save you.
Merry Christmas

Stephen <><

6 comments:

Cathy M. said...

Thanks for this gospel presentation from the manger. I can scarcely comprehend the staggering condensation God displayed in the nativity scene.

By the way, I think that's the first Charles Spurgeon bobble-head doll I've seen. Christmas present? (ha)

Stephen said...

Hi Cathy,

The Charles Spurgeon bobble head was a present, a couple of years ago. He has featured before on the blog. I also have an Al Mohler one both are from Southern Seminary.I've looked for a Jonathan Edwards one too, I know I am sad!

Shalom
Stephen

Cathy M. said...

I meant condescension, but I will pretend I was speaking of God sending rain on the just and unjust... because I'm super spiritual like that. (I don't usually correct myself, but since I'm from Tennessee and have a goat for my icon, I felt compelled.)

I didn't realize Southern had such an amazing gift shop! When you find the Edwards bobble-head, go ahead and purchase the "Theology Geek" t-shirt as well.

Happy new year to you and your family!

Stephen said...

Hi Cathy,

I thought your goat was a cow! I see it now- I probably have the tee-shirt! :-)

ReformedThinker said...

Nice blog,

I just recieved the John Calvin bobblehead for my birthday from my wife. I had no idea there was a Spurgeon one. It is on my wishlist now. God bless!

Robert,
www.robertcastillo.org

Stephen said...

Hi pastor Robert,

Thanks for stopping by, I see you are a new Calvinist, awesome!
I didn't know there was a Calvin bobblehead I shall have to get one. One day my house she packed with books and bobbleheads.