Sunday 21 March 2010

What on earth is the church?

I have been reading and thinking a lot recently about what is the church. Even within the church there is a big misunderstanding about what the church is. How often do you hear that old chestnut 'the church is the only organisation that exists for those outside'? Whilst the church should be reaching out to those outside that is not the primary purpose of the church. John Piper expresses this well in his book on mission, 'Let the Nations Be Glad', he says: of the Church's mission that: Mission isn't ultimate worship is. I remember the first time I heard that it rocked my whole world, mission is the prime goal of the church isn't it? Yet He goes on to say: Mission is not the end but the means, the goal of mission is to present white hot worshippers before the throne of God. Mission exists because there are places where worship doesn't, places where God is not delighted in and praised, places even where He is not known. Therefore we do have a mission to reach out to the world, both globally and in our neighbourhood. Yet it is Worship not mission that is at the centre of why Church exists, I think it was MacArthur who said 'the church gathers to worship but scatters to evangelise.' The church is about God's people delighting in God, praying together and having fellowship with one another. The primary goal of church is for God's people to meet together and worship Him under the ministry of the word of God., it is only when we have the word rightly preached and the sacraments rightly administered that we have church. Mark Dever in his book 'The Deliberate Church' rightly points out that the ministry of the word of God, is more than just the preaching. It is the read of the Bible, expository preaching singing songs that reflect the word of God back to him, even our prayers should be centred on praying God's word back to Him. When the church on earth reflects this it becomes like the church in heaven having the ultimate purpose to glorify God.

Shalom
Stephen <><

5 comments:

peter wilson said...

The church is the body of Christ that has to reproduce. Why should it keep its 'good news' all to itself. Here at Beauly Baptist Church even though we are a young church with a small congregation we are already moving out of our geographical locus into Muir of Ord and Kiltarlity, the next villages either side of us!

Christian Housewife said...

Beautifully put! The last line gave me goose bumps! Could you imagine a world where every knee was bowed before the throne in adoration? Wow! The day will come!

Stephen said...

Hi Peter,

That's awesome that so young and small you are reaching out. Don;t lose that but don't miss the point I was trying to make, church is about a people belonging to the LORD meeting and delighting in Him. You are right though we have good news and we shouldn't keep it to ourselves. I need to pop over to see you guys sometime.

Hi Christian housewife,

Thanks for stopping by! I see you have just started blogging yourself. I hope you enjoy it and keep it.
Shalom
Stephen

Craver Vii said...

Greetings, Stephen!

This is my first visit here. I like what I have seen so far. When I first saw the title of your blog, I misinterpreted it, but I'm glad to know it better now.

Shalom.

Stephen said...

Hey Craver,

I would be interested to know how you misunderstood the name. I chose it because some reformed people are uptight (I used to be one) and are given the nickname 'the frozen chosen'. So it is in response to that. :-)

God Bless bro
Stephen <><