Thursday 21 January 2010

Where wrath and mercy met


I just love C J Mahaney, he is overwhelming passionate for God and is enthused for God's word and sets my heart on fire. I recently enjoyed his excellent devotional book ,'Living the Cross centred Life' in this book he takes us on a journey through Christ's suffers and what it means for us. The chapter on Gethsemane brought me to my knees in joyful humbled thanksgiving. He starts this chapter by reminding us of the Jesus we have met in the gospels up till this point, a man of strength and assurance. Gethsemane comes as a shock what we find instead of the strong confidence Jesus is Jesus 'greatly distressed and troubled' Mahaney tells us that 'This is a consuming, crushing agony for our Saviour, utterly unlike anything we've previously observed.' (p76) In Gethsemane we met 'Jesus more vulnerable and more human than we've ever known. And we can't escape one question: Why? and he goes onto say why because on the cross Jesus will experience infinitely more than physical discomfort. For on the cross Jesus will experience 'unprecedented suffering of wrath and abandonment. His downward path into those unspeakable depths begins to plunge steeply in this garden called Gethsemane' p78
Mahaney presents us with the idea of Jesus looking into the cup and seeing the wrath, like a whole cup of volcono. 'As one Bible commentator notes, Jesus entered the garden "to be with the Father for an interlude before his betrayal, but found Hell rather than Heaven open before Him." p.81
I can't do justice to Mahaney's little book which comes out of a lifetime of being in love with Jesus, realising that this wrath is what you deserve and yet knowing that the saviour bore in love the cup of God's wrath so that we could live with Him forever.

Shalom
Stephen

8 comments:

Steve said...

You might find the following blogs of interest about C.J. Mahaney and the group he leads, Sovereign Grace Ministries:

www.sgmsurvivors.com
www.sgmrefuge.com

They tell another side. Hope this helps.

Tony Reinke said...

Amen to this post. I am blessed to work for CJ--he's my boss. I am honored to see him up close. He is the real deal. Blessings, brother! Tony

Stephen said...

Hi Guys, wow how different can two guys be. Tony it's an honour to have you stop by. Like wise Steve it is also an honour to have you visit, you don't like SGM much I see or Calvinists. You might wanna start a blog defrosted Arminian :-) Are you in a Calvary Chapel Church they don't like Calvinists much yet are loving and preach the word. I hope you can find it in your heart to bare with us Calvinists and forgive whatever you feel SGM have done against you.
Shalom
Stephen
God Bless

Steve said...

ReformedChristian

Thanks for the welcome I think? ;-)

I am not sure with how you came up with me not "liking" Calvinists. I disagree with what they teach theologically doesn't mean that I don't like Calvinists. Calvinists can be my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I am not in a Calvalry Chapel Church btw.

I didn't have a great experience with SGM but wasn't like I suffered a lot of abuse there. What makes me sad is to hear the various stories of spiritual abuse that is being reported happening within SGM. You are welcome to read the blogs I shared above adn read what I am talking about.

BTW, Mahaney and SGM may say that they believe in Calvinism but some of their actions makes me wonder just how they truly believe this. As controlling as that group is it is hard to believe that they really believe in the sovereignity of God. Also, how they discipline pastors for thheir children not coming to Christ seems quite contradictory to what Calvinism teaches. Shouldn't they as Calvinists accept that if one of their children doesn't come to Christ that the child isn't part of the elect or their time of God calling them to salvation hasn't happened? Thus their actions seem to show what they really believe.

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I have never read any writings of Mahaney, but plan on it. Love your Blog and this post. God bless, Lloyd

Stephen said...

Welcome Lloyd, thanks for the encouragement!

Steve, I know whatever SGM does is still impacting you in a negative way which is not good for your own soul. I was in a church once where I was holding a lot of bitterness and it was destroying my own soul. I discussed it with one of the pastors and we didn't really resolve it but that same night God woke us both up at 4.00am. The next day we were able to reconcile. God was merciful to me even though I wasn't being loving or forgiving. Bitterness, leads to hate and hate (I wanna start quoting star wars here) is destructive. In Jesus sermon on the mount he told us to forgive even those who hate us. Our name sake following the example of our LORD asked God to forgive those who were putting him to death. Ask God to help you forgive and maybe then God will minister through you to other hurting brothers and sisters. God Bless Stephen

Steve said...

Reformed Christian

I am sure we all have struggles with bitterness at times but don't see myself as being controlled by bitterness against SGM.

My reason for posting information about the blogs is to make people aware of what appears to be going in in that group and that things there aren't as well as the leaders will imply. The blogs also have been a source of healing for a number of people that suffered abuse while in SGM.

Reformed Renegade said...

Great post, Stephen. I've read that book and was blessed by it and continue to pull it off the shelf to re-read portions of it. FWIW, I attended an SG church for awhile here in my area and found them to be kind, loving folks and the pastor was very helpful with an issue we had at the time. We did not stay as we had some theological differences but they were not earth shattering and we left on good terms and I would call the pastor a friend today. I find the statements of SG's detractors unnecessarily vitriolic which makes me question their capacity for truth. I also find it difficult to comprehend that the likes of Dever, Mohler, Duncan, Piper, Sproul and MacArthur haved been duped by Mahaney and SG.