Monday 12 October 2009

why Christians should blog

Hi,
It has been a while since I blogged hasn't it? It's not that I have come to the conclusion that blogging is unimportant but at the moment what with parenting, working and preaching I seem to have little or no time to blog. A blogging friend of mine, pastor Jonathan Hunt whom I have never met but whose blog I enjoyed has given it up. I wish he hadn't he had a lot of good things to say and his character came out. I have been reflecting on why we should blog and this is my reasoning.
In the C14th an English priest by the name of John Wycliffe translated the Bible into English for the first time. He isn't given the credit for that, that honour goes to William Tyndale whose translation was 200 years later, this was after the invention of the printing press, allowing Tyndale's work to spread easier and faster than Wycliffe's.
The writings of Wycliffe did make it across the Chanel to Bohemia where a young priest by the name of Johan Hus was convinced by Wycliffe's writings and started a mini reformation. The reformation of Europe would have to wait a further 100 years for the preaching and writing of Martin Luther whose writings spread across Europe like a Californian wildfire spreads across a dry forest. The reason Luther's impact was greater under God was the invention of the printing press. Luther took whatever means he could to spread gospel truth across the information super highway of his day. In the C21st we can communicate gospel truth with the use of the Internet. This is the reason why I blog. Here I sit, I can do no other, God help me.

Shalom
Stephen <><

5 comments:

Eilidh said...

excellent point Stephen. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future!! Hope the family is well and things are fine.

Eilidh

andrea said...

and your back! good to see you blogging again. sounds like youve been having a busy time of it. God bless

Anonymous said...

i don't know if the guy you were talking about wrote the same blog i read, but i too read a blog from a guy who felt it necessary to discontinue blogging. and i wish he would have continued. in any event, i think you make an excellent point. through whatever graces god allows us to promote the truths of the gospel, of them we should avail ourselves.

grace to you

Les said...

"Here I sit, I can do no other." I like it! Maybe I should be a busier blogger - It has been a while since I posted anything. I agree that the invention of the printing press had a tremendous impact on the spread of the gospel and in our day, the internet can be used to spread the gospel and to encourage the saints. It is used for so many bad things, let's use it for good!

Stephen said...

Hi Aaron, good to make your aquainance. I also like that you are reformed and baptist and Piper is your hero as Eilidh and Andrea will affirm they are the only things I talk about. Well along with Edwards, Calvin etc.