Sunday 19 April 2009

God's mercy to me a sinner

I have the joy of doing the early shift with my daughter Hannah, she is an answer to prayer, a specific prayer. Joy and I had been praying for a child for 4 years on the final occasion I was praying and an overwhelming sense of peace came over me. I knew I could stop praying because my prayer had been answered. So confident of this I told my friend Daniel of Reformed Revolution fame that Joy and I were going to have a baby soon. Little did I know that it would be very soon. This morning as Hannah feel back to sleep I was overwhelmed with the generosity of God who hears me a sinner.
While reading my Bible I read Mark's account of Jesus' 'love the Lord your God with all your heart,with all your mind and with all your soul and your neighbour as yourself.' Again I was overwhelmed as I thought on my failure in both these departments. To be fully committed to the LORD would mean that love for neighbour would follow. Although I am pretty sure I don't hate anyone I am also sure I don't love my neighbours, but that isn't what Jesus commanded us to do, he commanded us to love our neighbours like we love ourselves. I know I have abundant self-love, and at the core of my being I am self centred. This morning I was able to pray with a sense of shame and my sinfulness but also delight in the God who loves me and forgives me. I asked that again he would hear this sinners prayer and empower me to love Him as he deserves to be loved and to love my neighbours as I love myself.

Shalom
Stephen <><

No comments: