Friday 1 February 2008

Why I am not religious!

Yesterday I had some religious people visit me, you know the ones, the ones with aberrant views regarding the person of Christ, the Trinity and conscience eternal punishment. I have some friends that used to be part of their organisation before coming to salvation so I always try to talk to them. Yesterday it was so frustrating as we talked about a publication of theirs, 'What does God require of us?' In this publication it states that we should have a cleaner house than our neighbours, be well presented and clean shaven. I pointed out to them that they have more in common with the Pharisees than with Jesus, in Luke 11:39 Jesus' says 'Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness.You fools! Did not he who made the outside make the inside also.' Jesus tells the Pharisees what God requires of us, believe in his Son! John 6: 28-29 Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”
We then discussed the differences between James 2 and Galatians 2. Is it by faith alone or is it faith and works? R.C Sproul once said, " faith alone saves but a saving faith is never alone." Paul and James are complimentary!
I get so frustrated with religious people, people who look to their "good" works and say this is why we shall enter heaven/ or live on a paradise earth. Counting on their self righteousness rather than on a righteousness that comes from God, and God alone. You can find religious people in evangelical churches too, people who miss the point that our sins are an offence to God and our good deeds cannot wipe out our sins, build a bridge to heaven and are tainted with sin themselves. Ephesians 2:8 'For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God'. While I find these religious people frustrating at least I don't pop a vein like Mark Driscoll does in this video:

3 comments:

NM said...

Fantastic post! Grace alone, faith alone.

Jason Nota said...

Yes I know folks like that. Appearance is very inportant to them. They must have a good witness. That is why I always take two of them fishing with me otherwise if I take just one he drinks all my beer.

Stephen said...

LOL! thanks Jason.