Tuesday 21 August 2007

The worthship of Christ

As I mentioned on my former blog (before I accidentally erased it), that my favourite quote outside of scripture is Jonathan Edwards 'To sin against an infinite being deserves an infinite punishment.' I was talking to my good friend, fellow blogger and fellow Spurgeonite, Dan Paterson this morning about the holiness of God. If we understand something of the meaning of both the words infinite and holy we can understand the justice in an eternal hell for sinning against an infinite holy God.
The word worship derives from the word worthship, and Christian worship is ascribing to the triune God his true value, which is infinite. There is a modern chorus that says 'that's why we worship because he gave his everything.' That is incorrect we worship because he is worthy of worship because of who he is. Yet we can worship because on the cross Christ made a way for us who were not his people, a people who deserved an infinite punishment to recieve an infinite grace.

God Bless
Stephen

2 comments:

David R Kirk said...

Is that quote of Edwards' a philosophical rationalisation of something into which the Bible gives us no insight? Just a thought!

Dan said...

Yes, it strikes me that even though I am so distugstingly sinful, Christ has showed me grace. I deserve to be punished for i have sinned against God, oh such love i do not understand. It strikes me that the closer to God we get the more knowlegable of our sin we are. Then the more aware of the grace showered on us. This itself should never be forgotten but so prevalent in us that all we meet and speak to and preach to will see Christ gift of grace to us. Praise God for he truly has saved us. Oh such a saying is said with little thought these days, but truly halleluyah we ARE SAVED.